(Interested in why online course completion rates matter? Read part 1 here!)
We’ve pulled together some of our best tips for improving your course completion rates.6 tips to higher completion & engagement for your online courses Click To Tweet
- Keep it short – Total course length should be between 30 minutes to 3 hours at most. If you have a longer course, split it up into pieces e.g. level 1, level 2, level 3
- Split it up – create shorter lectures (2-7 minutes is ideal). If you currently have longer lectures it’s easy to cut them up into pieces and there’s no need to remake them. (Why shorter lessons work better)
- Modern software – use modern course delivery software that’s mobile accessible and gives a great customer experience. I may be biased, but Thinkific is a great option for this.
- Encouragement – Give students a little pat on the back as they move through the course. Let them know how they are doing and how much they have accomplished. This is part of gamification and can dramatically increase engagement and completion rates.
- Remind them – an automated reminder email campaign can have a profound effect on your completion rates. Simply reminding people regularly after they sign up will bring them back to finish the course. You can also consider dripping content to them over time. Drip content means that the actual course content is not all available when they first sign up, and is only released over time.
- Deadlines – depending on the nature of your relationship with your learners, you may want to establish a deadline for completion or offer a bonus or additional benefit for completion within a certain period of time.
Try putting a few or all of the online course completion tips above into practice and you’ll see completion, engagement and enrollment rise for your courses!
I’d love to hear how this works for you, or if you have any tips of your own. Tweet at us, or drop a comment below!
SHARE THIS ARTICLE